Junior industry position
Registered Veterinary Technician
Hiring #: 2020-0380
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Reporting to the Supervisor, Patient Care and Service Delivery and under the direction of a clinician, the RVT participates as a member of the healthcare team of the Ontario Veterinary College Health Sciences Centre.
This position will be primarily assigned to the Ophthalmology but may be required to support other units in times of operational needs. The OVC HSC has a varied patient base, thus RVTs may be assisting activities relating to both companion and large animals.
Under the direction/supervision of a clinician, the key areas of responsibility include:
- Assist in building client caseload through the delivery of outstanding client service
- Coordinate patient care and communicate effectively with service areas regarding patient’s status, care procedures and location in hospital. This includes working with Large Animal, Companion Animal patients.
- Maintain accurate and complete medical records ensuring patient/client confidentiality
- Observe and evaluate the health status of patients, administer prescribed drugs/therapeutic treatments, collect samples, perform diagnostic testing and assist with patient restraint
- Prepare patients for surgery (including clipping and prepping surgical site using aseptic technique) and set up surgical suites with specialized equipment and instruments according to safety protocols
- Assist clinicians with surgical procedures; monitor patient for changes in body functions and vital signs. Operate and maintain cataract machine, operating microscope and equipment for student usage.
- Provide technical support and functional guidance to veterinary students, graduate students, clinicians (faculty and veterinarians) and staff. This is inclusive of cadaver lab set ups, appointments, orientations and daily workflow.
Interested candidates must meet the following requirements:
- 2 year College Diploma
- Successful completion of an accredited Veterinary Technician program recognized by the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians (OAVT)
- Full member in good standing with the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians (OAVT)
- Successful completion of the Veterinary Technician Examination (VTNE) and the OAVT mandatory ethics exam. OAVT registration is required
- One year prior experience working as an RVT
- Demonstrated proficiency in customer service: excellent communication and organizational skills particularly with respect to dealing with clients; ability to mentor students and contribute to a collaborative team environment.
- Familiarity with common computer software including Hospital Management Information System software is preferred
- Experience in Ophthalmology or Specialty Services an asset
- Experience with Equine, Bovine, Companion and Exotic species an asset
- Flexibility in scheduling availability is required. The incumbent will be required to work a variety of shifts including evenings and weekends