Junior industry position
We’re Looking For...
A senior fermentation associate interested in working on solid state and liquid fermentations, developing a process focused on bringing new materials into production. You will be hands on in the lab supporting projects at the bench with opportunities to contribute to process development and support tech transfers. You will support the tight knit team through routine fermentation operations, preparing media and buffers, starting seed cultures, preparing cell banks, maintaining laboratory equipment, and assisting in the design, execution, and data analysis of fermentation experiments. You are a critical thinker with the ability to perform data entry and analysis with our LIMS system. The ideal candidate will be detail oriented, independent, highly self-motivated, and will work well in a fast paced team environment.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll get honest feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them.
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
- Work alongside your peers in the fermentation lab.
- Design and analyze experiments with guidance from fermentation scientists.
- Execute fermentation experiments including set up, sampling, assays, and harvest.
- Support information exchange across projects by authoring, coordinating and reviewing documentation.
- Support cell banking and validation and maintain the stocking of consumables.
- Analyze, document, and present experimental results to cross-functional teams.
- Responsible for general lab duties (media, inventory, tank maintenance).
- Provide input for efficiency improvement opportunities.
- Be trained on fermentation workflow on LIMS.
- Be trained in safe practices in the work environment.
- Develop working knowledge of our fermentation process.
- Independently execute a minimum of 4 fermentation experiments.
- Provide feedback on experimental design and data analysis.
- Become a proficient user of our LIMS system for general lab operations.
- Maintain/troubleshoot general lab equipment and perform routine calibrations.
- Ability to troubleshoot laboratory failures and corrective actions.
- Present and report on one or two experiments independently.
- 2-4 years of lab experience preferred in an industrial setting.
- Expertise with diverse organisms a plus (single-celled and multi-celled organisms)
- BS/MS in Biology, Chemistry or Chemical Engineering preferred.
- Flexibility to work at least one weekend day if needed (after initial training period).
- Self-motivated individual while being able to work well in a team environment.
- Organized, detail oriented, and conscientious with excellent record keeping (SOPs).
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Familiarity with MFCS, JMP, LIMS, MS Office, and G Suite.
- Ability to travel up to 15% to support scale up needs.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds and work standing 75% of work day.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Safety first mindset.