Work with individuals, teams and other groups to assess physical abilities and design and implement exercise training programs.
In this course you’ll gain theoretical and practical understanding of exercise and sports physiology, biomechanics, motor control, motor learning and skill acquisition, and exercise and sports psychology.
The course emphasises client-centred practice to help you develop strong interpersonal communication, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
In your first year you will learn the foundations of exercise science and study interprofessional units with students from other health disciplines. In your second and third years, you’ll specialise in exercise and sports science, and undertake laboratory and fieldwork.
Students undertake a practicum placement in a relevant venue in the final year of the course.
What you'll learn
- Select appropriate approaches to facilitate participation and performance in exercise and sport for individuals, teams and communities
- Think critically and creatively to generate appropriate strategies and interventions promoting physical activity and improved performance in partnership with stakeholders
- Apply an evidence-based approach to selection and implementation of strategies to promote and enhance physical activity and performance
- Communicate in ways that promote shared understanding in a range of physical activity contexts; communicate effectively with clients in a way that enhances their participation in choice and decision-making
- Incorporate appropriate technologies in planning, assessment, implementation and evaluation of interventions designed to promote physical activity and enhance performance
- Evaluate personal and professional knowledge, skills, attitudes and values and the impact of these on the provision of services
- Select and apply culturally appropriate approaches to promote physical activity within international contexts
- Apply ethical frameworks that respect individual human rights and cultural diversity within the context of physical activity and sport
- Promote effective ethical inter-professional practice with all stakeholders working to enhance physical activity and elite performance